If you're in the business of selling products online, Amazon is likely one of the first places you think of. With over 310 million active customer accounts and 2.5 billion products listed for sale, Amazon is the world's largest online retailer. To make sense of this massive amount of data, Amazon has developed its own search algorithm called A9.
A9 is an algorithm used by Amazon to rank and display search results based on factors such as relevance, popularity, and sales history. Unlike Google, which uses over 200 ranking factors, Amazon's A9 algorithm focuses on a more limited number of factors to determine the relevance of a product to a customer's search.
In this article, we'll take a closer look at Amazon's A9 algorithm and how it impacts your search engine optimisation (SEO) strategy.
How Does the Amazon A9 Algorithm Work?
The A9 algorithm works by analysing a product's data and matching it to a customer's search. The algorithm then determines the relevance of the product based on factors such as:
- Product titles and descriptions: The A9 algorithm highly values product titles and descriptions that accurately describe the product and include relevant keywords.
- Sales history: Products that have sold well in the past are more likely to appear higher in search results.
- Relevance: The more relevant a product is to a customer's search query, the higher it will appear in the search results.
- Product ratings and reviews: Products with high and positive ratings are more likely to rank higher in Amazon's search results.
- Pricing: The price of a product can also impact its ranking. Products priced competitively are more likely to appear higher in the search results.
These are just a few factors that the Amazon A9 algorithm considers when ranking products.
How Does Amazon A9 Impact SEO?
Understanding how the algorithm works and optimising your product listings for the A9 algorithm can help you improve your visibility in Amazon's search results and drive more sales. To optimise your product listings for the Amazon A9 algorithm, consider the following tips:
- Use relevant keywords in your product titles and descriptions: Make sure your product titles and descriptions accurately describe your product and include relevant keywords that customers are likely to search for.
- Encourage customer ratings and reviews: Encouraging customers to rate and review your products can improve their visibility in the search results.
- Price your products competitively: Pricing your products competitively can help improve their ranking in the search results.
If you are stuck on how to optimise your listings, refer to our blog on “how to optimise your amazon listings” to cover the basics.
Once you have nailed the basics (titles, bullet points, keywords, A+ Content, images, price), you can consider other ways to drive traffic to your listing through SEO, such as:
- Registering yourself as a small business for the “Small Business Badge”. Businesses that have smaller than 250 employees and an annual turnover of no more than EUR 50 million or an annual balance sheet total of no more than EUR 43 million.
- Apply any Green initiatives for the “Climate Pledge Friendly” badge: Products with trusted sustainability certification(s).
- Made in Italy: Amazon and the Italian Trade Agency support Italian companies promoting entrepreneurship and Italian foreign sales.
Launchpad: If approached, sign up for the Launchpad programme for additional benefits and to be the first to hear about new Amazon features.
Deals: Be visible during high-traffic periods such as Black Friday to get your listing noticed on the deals pages.
Variations: This combines all your reviews of individual “child” listings, increasing reviews across all variations.
If you would like to discuss any of the above, need our help, or want more information, please get in touch and chat with us!